CLIENT: West End Fire Station No. 7 “The Rock”
SIZE: 7,278 SF
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA
J. W. Robinson & Associates, Inc. (JWRA) provided architectural design services for the rehabilitation of Atlanta’s oldest functioning fire station originally opened in 1910, which serves the Historic West End Community, and the Pittsburgh, Adair Park and Castleberry communities. The fire station is not registered with the Department of Interior as a historic structure, however, JWRA was committed to a design solution which preserved as much of the distinctive, original interior and exterior character of the 100 + year old facility, which re-opened in 2015.
Modern building systems were incorporated without being obtrusive. The station includes an apparatus bay, gear room, watch room, EMS office, sleeping rooms for the fire captain and fire-fighters, kitchen and dayroom, weight room, utility areas and support areas.
The project received the 2017 Award of Excellence from the Atlanta Urban Design Commission for Historic Rehabilitation of a Civic Building.